Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I like my congressman

When the Ukraine vote to put a moratorium on international adoptions, one of the first things I did was send a letter to my congressman (Frank Wolf - VA).  I was honestly expecting a form letter having nothing to do with my concerns/questions.

I got a specific letter back in the mail today that he contacted the State Dept and US Embassy in Ukraine on my behalf and will let me know as soon as he has more information.  I still haven't received a response from the embassy on my own request so hopefully he has better luck.

4 comments:

  1. That's great news! Can you share a sample of what you wrote to him? I have no idea what to write since they are not necessarily directly connected to adoption.
    I did however write to the dept. of state adoptions division and while I did get a response, it wasnt very helpful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had printed it. It was up on my screen for a while to do so. Basically I let him know the issue, the potential consequences for older children, that i am hoping the the US will be proactive so adoptions are not hindered for any period of time, not sure if it is congress or the state dept but am asking for his help... etc etc etc.

    It wasn't all that long. I think this has to be driven by state dept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that. I thought there were 3 total votes required and then the Ukraine President has to sign (he has 40days to do so). I know I keep checking the parliament website to see if they've voted again.

    ReplyDelete