Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gotcha Day +1


Today, Jan 12th Dennis is doing much better than he was last night. He woke up and decided he wanted to play peek a bo with me in the bed before getting up. Once I finally saw his face, he was all smiles. He immediately asked for "musica" which in our talk means "ipod." I said he needed to take a bath first. He agreed ... then he wouldn't get out! That's fine by me ... long bath is good ... get him cleaned up. After getting washed up and dressed, I gave him the ipod. As you can see from the photo he's in a much better mood. He wants to watch Happy Feet on my laptop so I'm going to set that up for him and then take a quick shower!

Ok ... so back from the passport office and shopping ...

D showing off his new clothes that he picked out for himself!


The school found his passport!!! I will have his new one in 1 hour and we have tickets for the train back to Kiev tonight! YIPPIE!!!

I took D shopping at the mall. I let him pick out his own clothes - we was SO HAPPY! He seriously would tell me no on stuff, which was surprising. He picked out his own underwear and socks, too! The school only gave us the pair of socks he had on and they are girl socks! He picked out red and black socks and soccer ball undies!

Me being the "blond" that I am wasn't thinking about possibly leaving on the train tonight so I bought about 2 days worth of food ... some of it perishable so I can't take it on the train ... oh well ... maybe the room cleaning ladies will eat it.

Ok, so now I have a ton of packing to do before we leave, which will be in about 4 hours. Dennis is eating some snacks and watching cartoons. Brian can update the blog through my text messages once we get on the train.

M-

5 comments:

  1. Now that is the Dennis we all know. Whatever happened on Monday truly got addressed with you taking him home and loving on him. He was all smiles on Skype and excited about his clothes.

    For everyone else, we didn't want him to be overwhelmed in America so we didn't take him shopping for clothes. He did go to Home Depot on "boys" outings but he didn't have to pick out anything. This may have been his first real shopping experience.

    As an aside, the SIM is 30min/day for 30 grivna every 25 days. Which is actually 750min just spread out differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I was praying for you this morning that you'd be able to get the heck out of dodge today. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa and Dennis are on the train waiting to go to Kyiv. They called Dennis and he ended up in tears. Sounds innocent though and makes sense. Dennis told S that he was in America and she corrected him tell him not yet.

    I think that is what he was having a hard time last night too. He was probably expecting to take the car from the orphanage to America. He has no concept of geography.

    He desperately wants to be in America. Our facilitator is going to try to explain to him again that they are going it will just take a little bit.

    It'll subside again and he'll have more ups/downs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAYYY!! You're on your way home now and out of that place away from any relatives! Enjoy that train ride;) lol

    BTW -- our now 15yo still thinks Kiev is another country than Stakhanov where she is from. I think that's pretty universal with all the orphanage kids. They don't really understand until they have parents to care for them. They are 'stuck' while living at the orphanage.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometime around 8-9p in Ukraine, Melissa text'd me that Dennis was able to get to sleep and that she was going to try too. This is her 3rd time taking this 15hr overnight trip so hopefully she's more comfortable and able to sleep.

    No word yet on when their Embassy appointment is.

    ReplyDelete