Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A desk, a phrase, and laziness

I wasn't going to write today but Dennis just made me laugh this morning... but I'll get to that.

This weekend was a bit rough... had some hard disciplining to do, of course with Melissa at a birthday party with Amanda.  We actually chatting on the phone about it just to make sure we were on the same page.  The positive thing is that Dennis didn't just clam up and go into his shell like he does.  He was mildly more verbal and physical but it was good... and it was over faster than when he crawls into his shell.  We've been practicing him having to say I'm sorry and followed by a hug when he wants to reconcile... this time Ashley even role played with me for him just to remind him.  Eventually I got a "papa hug, papa hug" with an I'm sorry and hug.


Sam sitting at their new desk.

Yesterday with Sam home "sick" with pink eye, we picked up the desk at Walmart we had ordered.  It's cheap but a pretty good deal with the chair, lamp, and desk.  The desk tilts which the physical therapist suggested might be good for Dennis' drawing... of course as many complained, the bolts pushed through the plastic clamps so now it is flat.  Nothing that a bi-metal drill won't fix though.  Sam helped me put it together... he loved that.  Dennis mostly watched and didn't want to help but at the end he started taking stuff out of the packaging for us which was helpful.

This brought about something interesting I noticed... I'm not sure Dennis comprehends sharing.  This desk is for him and Sam... but he insisted it was only for Sam.  Looking back on his interactions with toys, he may think it is either mine or not mine.  Anyways, something to watch out for.

So the reason for the plug... I'm sure there is great suspense.  We were headed out to the car and I told Dennis it was cold and he needed a jacket.  He said no.  It was in the 20s outside so I figured natural consequences weren't such a good idea with him this time even though he has 2-3 layers of clothes on already.  I threw him a jacket which he accepted but wouldn't put on.  He doesn't get 3 steps out the door into the garage and exclaims "COLD... HOLY MOLEY".  Of course being right and reinforcing he needs to listen was good here... but I had a good chuckle after a double take realizing what he said and it had to have been picked up at school.

I'll end with my favorite part of the new Van... ok, doesn't anyone else have the tendency to capitalize Van... I think I'm dating myself (Vans).  So the van... I take the kids to the bus stop on cold days in the van.  I work from home so I get the kids ready in the morning and am still in my pajamas (as I am for much of the day).  I'm too lazy to get socks on (notice the lazy trend here?) so even in 20degree weather I'll be wearing sandals.  The floor heating in the van is fantastic... keeps the entire van warm and blows right on my feet.

That's it for now... this week we will have an experiment on how pink eye travels in the family when it starts with Sam.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally missing the "left" comment and have you fixed the heating problem in the backseats of the van yet?

    ReplyDelete