Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hard worker

So Dennis today insisted on being a big helper.  I'm pretty amazed what he can do and has no fear of doing given how unstable he can be physically.

Helped empty the trash cans in the house and carry down the trash cans to the end of the driveway.  He took the recycling can since it is only 55 gallons instead of 90.  It only ran him over once and he got out of the way without falling.  I was surprised.

He wanted to help me climb up the ladder and clear out the drain.  I had to draw the line there but he watched as I pulled out an old nasty tennis ball.

He steered the tractor down to the wood shed for us to get another load of wood.  This is more an exercise in being aware of his surroundings.  When he tried this while he was here last summer he didn't seem to get the concept that he needed to decide where to take us and that it shouldn't be a tree.

The most impressive is that he loves to help load up the wood into the trailer.  Today he was counting... one, two, three... pieces of wood and carrying them to the trailer.  Frankly if I had the stability problems walking I'd probably be scared in the dark shed, walking on an incline, with things that are going to hurt whether I fall on them or them on me... or some combination.

He also insisted on carrying the full water tanks for the humidifier across the house.  They probably weigh over 35lbs.  That was a bit harder and we had a few trips but he did it.  Sam was kind enough to get a towel and wipe up the little water that spilled.

This weekend we are going to aerate the yard with the tractor and I think I'm going to enlist all the kids to build a burn pile.... probably with the branches of two trees I need to fell and a half dozen little trees that need to go.  Don't worry... we belong to the Arbor Day foundation and we plant a bunch of trees each year (just don't tell my HOA).

No comments:

Post a Comment