Thursday, January 6, 2011

Staying in Ukraine - Day 6: HALF WAY POINT!!!

Ok, so if you count Dec 31st, then today is exactly 1/2 way through the waiting period, as I should be getting the court decree on Jan 11th! :)

Today was a bit of a change from the usual as the kids put on what I assume was a Christmas musical. I really enjoyed it. On the down side, there was no time to actually talk with S today, so I didn't find out when church is on Saturday.

Ok, so these pictures are out of order ... you'll just have to follow along as best as you can.

This pic was taken after the show, but is one of my favorites and probably the most interesting, so I wanted it at the top of the blog! I have no idea who this man is, but three men arrived just prior to the show and appeared to be the "guests of honor." After the show they handed out bags of candy to each of the kids and shook their hands. I was able to get Dennis, but Snezhana hid and didn't get her bag of candy.

This is Dennis and his buddy, Anton. I'm not sure if he's actually friends with Dennis since I think he's in 5th grade, but he's definitely "our buddy" when we're playing upstairs in the hallway. He makes eye contact and waves and plays ball with us (whenever the teacher isn't looking)! He seems like a really sweet kid and I hope the folks with NHFC will interview him and find him a hosting family for the summer.

These are the rest of the kids in Anton's class. Dennis is much smaller and from what I can tell this is the 5th and/or 6th grade class. (Dennis I believe is in 3rd). The kid holding the silver pole is another one of our "buddies" but I cannot even pronounce his name. Oh, and I shared our snacks with this class ... I don't know that type of food it was, but it looked like candy canes but were white and black swirls with something similar to chocolate on the inside. There were about 15 sticks in the package. I offered one to the male teacher and then asked if I could take a picture! He agreed and told the kids to stand up. After the picture I passed out the rest of the sticks and the kids all said "thank you" very politely in English!

Dennis thought it was be funny to put two in his mouth at the same time!

Another pic of Dennis and his buddy Anton.

These are some of the kids in Snezhana's class. The only one smiling is Sasha - he's such a great kid, too! :)

The kid in the white hat is our other buddy whose name I cannot pronounce. He's a character! He sat in front of me during the musical and would "accidentally" drop his pole my direction several times! :) He was also bothering the girl next to him and twisting her arm ... I think he was trying to show off to me, as they would both turn and look at me and grin. I finally shook my head "no" at them and they quickly stopped and sat upright in their seats! This pic was taken after the show and as you can see he was up to his tricks again!

This is my favorite pic of this group! It shows their personalities so much! The teachers were mostly gone so the kids were just goofing around! Sasha was pushed into the photo at the last second my a girl sitting next to him. Snezhana is hiding and the girl in pink is trying to get her to stop hiding. The dark haired girl behind her is one of her roommates and is braiding her hair. The girl with the red flower in her hair is another roomy.

Just a random picture taken after the show.

This was taken during the show. She and this teacher were the announcers and would come up between each class and announce the class and then those kids would come up and say something and sing a song.

The rest of the photos from the show are in my facebook album January 6, 2011 - Christmas Musical @ Lutugino

After the kids cleared out Dennis and I skyped with Brian for a bit, but the internet access was terrible. Some of the teachers were still around and they thought it was cool that he was talking to his Papa. One teacher overheard me tell Dennis to say "Ya tebya lublue" to Brian ... which means I love you ... and she went "Awwww!"

We only had about 20 minutes together before I had to leave.
I hope I will see S tomorrow and find out what time church is on Saturday.

.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, that man on the 1st picture is from the Department of Criminal Affairs. That's why they were guests of honor :)

    Thought to let you know since you weren't sure who they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had a terrible time with Skype lately. It seems to be more Skype than internet. It keeps throwing us off and trying to reconnect us. Wonder if you are having similar problems. This became more of a problem after we downloaded Skype's update. We miss you here in Severodonetsk. Hope you and children had a Merry Christmas together. Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is only a problem when Melissa is in Lutugino. Services is spotty there though. We find if we just do an audio call it is much more reliable.

    When Melissa is in Lugans'K it isn't a problem.

    ReplyDelete