Monday, January 10, 2011

Staying in Ukraine: Day 9 - Class PARTY!

Today I had to go to 3 different stores to try to find cake ... which I did not find ... so I ended up with something like cupcakes for the class party today. I also brought 4 bottles of Fanta and 6 bags of potato chips, but the class of only 10 kids only ate/drink one of each! I was able to share the rest with Anton/Tolic's class ans Snezhana's class as well.

I brought gifts for the class as well, and had plenty of extra to give to anyone I saw today. I had palm size bouncy balls for the boys, and some of the girls, too. For the girls though, I bought Disney Princess Christmas ornaments and I wasn't sure how that would go over after the holiday had passed, but they were really nice ornaments and the girls LOVED them!!! I also had plenty of extra bubbles and snack packs of peanuts - both were a hit.

Me and my boy taking self-portraits


D & S macking on chips (post party)


Tolic and Dennis playing with the palm size bouncy balls I passed out as gifts. Some of the kids had trouble keeping the balls in their hands and the teacher had to confiscate them, but I saw later that Anton was juggling them, so he must have gotten his back at some point.


Bubbles was another of the party gifts that I had left over from and was able to share with other kids. This pic is a bit blurry, but is my favorite of the bubble photos.


A gift I received from the Deputy Director's office -
It's made of wood, so it should survive the ride back home!


The pink heart "cupcakes" for the party


Dennis and Patrina and other classmates


Dennis and his teacher
(aunt of a chaperon who is currently in the US)


Dennis and his entire class - minus 1 who is being hosted right now.
Kids sit two to a desk and the entire classroom is the size of my formal dining room.


D being quite serious for some reason!


Last night I met some Americans here looking for work for their company back in the states (they travel the world doing this). One is actually a Navajo Indian who was born on a reservation in Arizona, but clearly grew up speaking English. He works in LA most of the time and since I am from the central coast of CA he was familiar with some of my old stomping grounds. It's been fun exchanging stories and learning about their lives and hearing stories about their travels abroad. Tonight we went to Sam's Steak House trying to get an American-style meal! I thought FOR SURE I could get a decent cheeseburger here ... I was WRONG! The burger was the right "size" but the wrong width ... it was as flat as a pancake!! I asked for cheese ... I got a KRAFT SINGLE!!!!

Well ... tomorrow start the rat race again ... but I am glad for a change of pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment