Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And this morning

D: School Tomorrow
Me: Yes Dennis, School tomorrow, Doctor today
D: ICE CREAM ICE CREAM ICE CREAM

Ok... at this point I couldn't help but smile and chuckle.  I had actually been concerned about his short term memory... you know past a few hours.  No question now... hehe.

He ended up just sleeping in his skivvies last night as his PJs.  He fought his PJs (I forced the skivvies) and I figured he'd have good natural consequences.  I checked in a few times to make sure he was covered but he obviously wasn't comfortable and squirmed a lot.

Dennis has gotten really good at recognizing his name and the individual letters in it.  He spends a good portion of his time in church flipping through a Bible finding the letters in his name.  He's also figured out his brother Samuel's name is in it so I think he's looking for his.  I had a sticky note on my monitor about his surgery on Friday with his name in the middle of a bunch of other stuff... he found that and has probably shown me his name and spelled it out a dozen times now.  I'm proud of him... remember he had no reading, writing, or alphabet skills in Russian so this is all new to him... he's 6yrs behind from American born kids.

He's doing very well given he has no foundation of language like most kids who are adopted.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Dennis! That is GREAT! The ability is in there, now its just learning it. Not an easy task, but he will get there, no doubt :)
    I love that he is searching through the bible for his name! CUUUUUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scream ... you scream ... we all scream for ice cream ... followed by jumping jacks for breaking the no screaming rule ... but for ice cream it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete