Friday, April 8, 2011

Good Sleepy

I think I might have a druggie in the making.. after he woke up completely he has told me several times "good sleepy" while making a motion of a mask over this nose and mouth.  I'll be sure to keep glue bottles and aerosol cans away from him :)

He was a real trooper... the last time he ate/drank as 7p last night and the whole family helped to make sure he stayed that way.  Making sure they ate before he came down, hiding all the cups, turning the water off in his bathroom sink, not talking about food/water, etc.  I fasted with him just so he knew he wasn't in it alone.  We left as planned right after the kids got on the bus and ended up at the surgery center 45min before we were supposed to.

We ended up in surgery WAY late.  He watched the entire Shrek 2 movie in pre-op and we even stopped a couple of times for people to talk to us.  He was ok until the anesthesiologist came in taking to him soon after we got to pre-op.  He got upset for some reason and put his face in his hands.  Then a nice nurse came by and got him out of it taking his temp, blood pressure, etc.

But then the gurney arrived... whatever his background, he associated that with something very scary.  He started telling me he was all done with the bed, all done with the computer, wanted to leave.  He was scared.  He was sitting on the bed and eventually couldn't handle it so came to sit on my lap... instead I set next to him for the next 1hr+ on the gurney.  He held my hand.  Fortunately the staff realized he was barely holding it together and allowed me to get a robe/cap and join him to the OR.

When we finally got to the operating table he was a perfect angel... still scared to death and wouldn't let go but he didn't fight, argue, or anything.  They put the mask on him and a minute later he was out.  He still had my hand clenched though and we had to pry him off even as he was out... that was hard.

The guitar shirt, at home after surgery.  He wanted the picture to show up on the AppleTV when playing music.

He did well waking up... was in tears at first but calmed down soon after I got there -- wished they had gotten me before he woke up.  He was dazed and wanted nothing for a while.  Then got him naming colors... when he finally came around he wanted his "guitar shirt"... literally an electric toy guitar built into a shirt with an amplifier and a pick.  We then went to McDonald's and promised, and home.

5 comments:

  1. So glad everything went well. What a great sign of attachment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he did so well. Any type of surgery is scary & then add the language barrier in. I am glad that they allow you to accompany him into the operating room:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Just: Yeah, I nearly had to find a room to cry after having to pry his hand off. Oh you mean him bonding to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete