Friday, April 1, 2011

Progress

Apparently I already had a blog entry called Progress... oh well.  Work with Dennis on patience.  Today after school he wanted to go bike riding but knows he can't go in the rain even though he says he doesn't care.  As soon as the sun came out he was in my office asking.  Ashley had a few things to do so he couldn't go outside until she was done.  Instead of having a tantrum, as usual, he went and helped her so they could go outside.

Later in the day he came back in and I needed him to wait just a couple of minutes for me to finish with the work I was doing on a door in the house... then go find out where Ashley was to watch him.  This time he decided on a tantrum... didn't turn out so well with him.  A bit of a battle so he got some discipline and racked up 20minutes on the timeout bench.  After he served that I asked him to come over so I could talk to him about apologizing and he refused.... 3 times.  When I went to put 10minutes on the clock for his next timeout he suddenly came over... but when I told him to go sit on the bench he said no and refused... 15min... NO... 20min... bottom in seat.  We had an uneventful 20minute timeout and when he was done he happily have me a hug and said he was sorry.

Out he went on his bike with Sam for 30minutes before deciding it was too cold.

Right now he's figured out how to use one of the nerf guns in my office.  I'm glad he's getting the dexterity to do so... it will be useful in this family, especially when water and hoses are involved :)

Another thing that snuck up on us this week... Dennis has started speaking in actual "sentences".  They aren't sentences exactly but it isn't just "mine", "water please", or the one "May I have..." sentence.  He's expressing things like "Ashley, Dennis room, Ashley room" to tell us that Ashley is in his room and he wants her out :)  Today he had some even more complicated examples but I was too shocked to remember :)

Tomorrow we try to call Ukraine gma and Snezhana... please pray for that to go well.

2 comments:

  1. This post warms my heart... progress. Such a sweet thing!
    Praying for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I was worried we were in for another several hours of battling and no calls to Ukraine today. I was so happy when he just accepted the discipline... something one of the other children still has issues with most of the time.

    We tried calling Ukraine gma and the phone number says it's out of service. When we got ahold of S she said gma's phone was broken but to call her aunt. Apparently aunt is living with gma. We'll try that when you translator is available again. It was a good call with S though D didn't want to talk much... we did.

    ReplyDelete