Monday, December 6, 2010

Countdown to Ukraine - Today's the Day!

Well ... 99.9% packed! :) Just need to toss a few things in the carry on, which seems to be growing ever so quickly! Pretty soon I think it won't be carry on any longer! :)

Now we just wait until it's time to go. We read blogs (which will most likely NOT calm my husband's nerves, but at least it passes the time).

I just called my mother in Cali for our final goodbye, which has short because she was about to leave for work.

I'll call my sister later from the airport. I don't want to disrupt their morning routine at her house trying to get the kids out the door, and I'm not sure which days she works at the church.

We said our goodbyes to the kids last night and gave them small parting gifts, telling them to wear these items and remember how much we love them while we're gone.

For Amanda, a very girly (but sturdy - hopefully) double strand necklace with a heart on each - one to represent each of us - she decided the bigger heart represents Mommy! :)

For Sam, a Iron Man watch - I couldn't really think of anything else for an 8yr old boy that wouldn't embarrass him in school. And, also discreet enough if he didn't want to share the reason he received it.

For Ashely, a charm bracelet on a chord instead of a thin chain. I found a cute starter set at Kohls (and mother-in-law can take her back to collect more). This collection has starter beads along with a speciality bead - a doggie! :) We told her at the store they have initials and also things like music notes and Christian symbols, so she can use her money to collect which ones she wants! :)


This braeclet I've had my eye on for quite some time, so I decided to buy it for Snezhana. I cannot find the correct photo online, but this is the bracelet I bought, except the one I bought reads "Mother Daughter Friend." I'm not sure when I will present it to her, but it will be sometime after she signs her letter ... maybe it will even be a gift for the day we have court.

6 comments:

  1. So VERY, VERY excited for you! Enjoy every moment... Will be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15minutes til boarding. Anyone know the German words for "Gate" and "Terminal"? Probably a little late to be asking that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you two this morning. Hope your trip over went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you made it there okay. If I could make a suggestion? I would save the bracelet until you take her out of the orphanage. Orphans are known for generously sharing their things. The truth is, it's a power thing for some. Some kids like to 'talk' their friends out of their possessions. If you wait, then she won't have that pressure:) (We had that experience is why I know)

    Blessings,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip, June. We sent her back to Ukraine after hosting with quite a bit of jewelry, so we'll be able to see how much of it she's been able to hang on to! It was nothing fancy, but I figured she had little if any, so we got her some simple necklaces from several of our trips, and one was a matching set with a set I had bought my mother in law at the same place (we all went together). Also, her birthday gift was a sterling silver braclet and watch set that she thought I had my eye on for myself! :) She was surprised when she opened it and pointed to ME several times, as if I had made a mistake in giving it to her as a birthday gift! :)

    ReplyDelete